Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Improving Childhood Recipes Part 1: Mac N Cheese


Mac n' cheese out of a box was a weekly staple in our home growing up. Easy and quick to make, it was our go to meal when friends stopped in, or to hold us over after school until dinner. Now a meal I keep on hand in case of emergencies and power outages, occasionally I get that craving and I have begun to come up with a myriad of ways to adjust the boxed dinner to the adult palate.  To start I use Annie's organic shells or the Trader Joe's version. Even though you can skip the butter in these recipes, I prefer the richness it contributes so I use my Earth Balance spread. I attempt to balance out the fat content of the mac n cheese by adding a veggie packed with antioxidants: sauteed spinach. To help add a new dimension of flavor I threw in some caramelized shallots and topped it off with a sprinkle of reduced fat shredded cheese (there goes that balance). Another version I made recently combined canned tuna, sauteed broccoli, and minced garlic. My husband's favorite is to just add some tomato sauce. What is your favorite way to make mac n' cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment