Sunday, February 17, 2013

No More Boring Oatmeal...

Red Breakfast Quinoa: with bananas, cinnamon sugar, and almond milk
Good morning! Weekdays I rely on smoothies for a fast, portable, and healthy breakfast. On the weekends I generally prefer to treat myself to something more hearty. As I lie awake in bed this morning, I envisioned banana pancakes, but realized I was out of veggie sausage. No tofu in the house to make a scramble, I was left to the good ole standby, oatmeal. Then I remembered a recipe I had seen on whole living, to use quinoa in place of oats. Out came my rice cooker and in went one part quinoa to two parts water and about 20 minutes later I had enough to make at least three meals with. So today covers meal number one: Red Breakfast Quinoa with cinnamon sugar, bananas, and almond milk. You can either add the milk cold to the hot quinoa, or heat it first to be more of an authentic oatmeal dish. The variations on this breakfast are endless! Quinoa quick facts: Not a grain but rather a seed, contains the most amino acids of any plant source of protein, gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment