Monday, October 21, 2013

Pantry Meals: Shrimp and Goat Cheesy Grits

I have a problem, my freezer is jam packed! I've challenged myself to a week of cooking meals from only ingredients on hand, mainly from my pantry or freezer. I see the benefits as two fold, budget wise: I will be in good shape in terms of groceries, and space wise: I'll make room for freezable winter dishes that I like to have on hand for cold lazy nights. So here goes nothing! The first meal I made uses frozen shrimp, an ingredient I like to have on hand for a quick appetizer or meatless entree. Next, I pulled some Bob's Red Mill southern style grits and a can of diced tomatoes from the pantry. After cooking the grits, I stirred in the tomatoes along with a creamy herb and garlic goat cheese. I sautéed the shrimp in earth balance butter and added a generous amount of black pepper. The grits were done in 5 minutes and dinner was on the table in less than 10! No chopping necessary thanks to the deliciously seasoned goat cheese. You can easily replicate this dish with any other creamy cheese such as ricotta or feta and add your favorite herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment